Scanning & Digital Imaging Benchmarks
Purpose of Reproduction
- To provide greater access to original objects
- To assist in the preservation of original objects
- To enhance and develop content-rich resources
- To assist in collection development
The following factors may be considered when evaluating the nature of the item to be digitally imaged:
- Is the item a single leaf, or bound?
- Is the item a slide, microform, or transparency?
- If bound, how tight is the binding?
- Will the item fit on a scanner?
- Will scanning a bound item cause damage to the paper or to the binding?
- Will exposure to light damage the item?