Associate Professor, English
Fellow, Center for Digital Research in the Humanities
Degrees and Institutions Granting the Degree
- Montana State University, BA (1989)
- University of Northern Colorado, MA (1993)
- Southern IllinoisUniversity, PhD (1997)
Areas of Specialization
- Digital Humanities: text mining / text analysis
- Irish and Irish American Literature
- 20th Century British Literature
- Literature of the American West
- Text Analysis with R for Students of Literature. (Springer, 2014)
- Macroanalysis: Digital Methods and Literary History. (University of Illinois Press, 2013).
- Driscoll, Charles. Kansas Irish. Edited with Critical Introduction, Matthew L. Jockers, 1944, Wichita, Kansas: Rowfant Press, 2011.
- Jockers, Matthew L. and David Mimno. “Significant Themes in 19th-Century Literature.” Poetics. (Online November 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.poetic.2013.08.005) [Print December 2013].
- Jockers, Matthew L. “Testing Authorship in the Personal Writings of Joseph Smith Using NSC Classification.” Literary and Linguistic Computing. 28.3, (2013): 371-381.
- Jockers, Matthew L., Matthew Sag and Jason Schultz. “Brief of Digital Humanities and Law Scholars as Amici Curiae in Authors Guild v. Hathitrust.” June 4, 2013.
- Allison, Sarah, Ryan Heuser, Matthew L. Jockers, Franco Moretti, Michael Witmore. “Quantitative Formalism: An Experiment.” N+1, No. 13, Winter, (2012): 81-108.
- Jockers, Matthew L., Matthew Sag and Jason Schultz. “Digital archives: don’t let copyright block data mining.” Nature. V. 490, October 4, 2012 (29-30).
- Jockers, Matthew L., Matthew Sag and Jason Schultz. “Brief of Digital Humanities and Law Scholars as Amici Curiae in Authors Guild v. Google.” (July 28, 2012).
- Allison, Sarah, Ryan Heuser, Matthew Jockers, Franco Moretti,Michael Witmore. “Quantitative Formalism: An Experiment.” Pamphlet1, Stanford Literary Lab, 2011.
- Jockers, Matthew L. and Daniela M. Witten. “A Comparative Study ofMachine Learning Methods for Authorship Attribution.”LiteraryandLinguistic Computing, 25.2, (2010): 215-224; doi: 10.1093/llc/fqq001
- Jockers, Matthew L., Daniela M. Witten, and Craig S. Criddle. “Reassessing Authorship of the Book of Mormon Using Delta andNearestShrunken Centroid Classification.”Literary and Linguistic Computing,23.4 (2008): 465-492; doi 10.1093/llc/fqn040
- Jockers, Matthew L., “West of Éire: Butte’s Irish Ethos.” InAllOur Stories Are Here: Critical Perspectives on Montana Literature. Ed.Brady Harrison. University of Nebraska Press, (2009): 37-51.
- ”A Literature of Good Fortune.” InThe Irish in the San FranciscoBay Area: Essays on Good Fortune. Ed. Don Jordan and TimothyO’Keefe.San Francisco: Irish Literary and Historical Society, (2005): 8-27.
- ”A Window Facing West: Charles Driscoll’sKansas Irish.”New Hibernia Review. 8:3 (2004).
- .”Another ‘Word Known to All Men’ in Joyce’s Ulysses.” Notes on Modern Irish Literature. 8 (1996): 38-40.
- Jockers, Matthew and Craig Smith. “James Joyce’sUlysses.”The Explicator. 50.4 (1992): 235-237.